Monday, May 5, 2008

Denim Revolution and the parisian pouf mini

... the Parisian Pouf miniskirt was the second project I made for the book and I spent some time, sketching and browsing through my trims and thoughts until the design fell together. Inspired by the sumptuous macaroons (violette, rose, pistachio) at Ladurée near the Place de la Madeleine in Paris and Kristin Dunst done up as Marie Antoinette - my wish was - to bring those influences into the 21c with a terribly feminine twist in denim. Therefore, the tucks, pleats, lace, taffeta, velvet, trims, the covered buttons, gussets and hand stitching, and the hidden details that feel like lingerie. It is about dressing up for a soft late spring or summer evening. In Denim Revolution it's been photographed in a cafe in the Galerie de la Reine in Brussels and sketched for dinner in St. Tropez.

P.S. In the video, the "D" is for Denim, for Duffy (it's her song, "Warwick Avenue"), and for Dinah, my Russian grandmother, who hand embroidered this sampler, many decades ago, when she was a young teenager.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the book and look forward to making things with my grandaughter who will be thrilled to work through the illustrations and techniques to make her choice a reality.

With all good wishes for every success.

E and E

Anonymous said...

These are SUPERB drawings. I love these drawing!!!!

Unknown said...

I al so disappointed not to see a continuation....what is happening?